Here’s some humor for the holidays:
- A very funny post from Faces of Lawsuit Abuse.org. It is a 2009 poll of the most ridiculous lawsuits of the year. My vote was for the April winner: "Tourist sues New York club after she slipped while dancing on top of the bar." (story here). The judge carefully examined the facts and made his ruling according to simple math: drunk + dancing + wet bar = case dismissed.
- "You dont bring a gun to a snowball fight," brought to you by one of my favorites Above the Law, a legal tabloid. This is now a viral holiday story about a snowball fight between a lawyer and a police officer. Who do you think wins that fight? Read the lawyer’s take here, and to make your own decision, check out the video.
- Inmates do not like Christmas music, but judges do! According to the Phoenix news blog, the Maricopa County Sheriff has won its fifth lawsuit from inmates related to playing Christmas tunes in county jails. My guess is they were playing Michael Bolton’s Christmas album, which has made a few "worst album ever" lists for christmas songs. Look for an appeal based on cruel and unusual punishment.
- Riskvue, a website for risk management professionals, has a detailed post on holiday party disasters and how to avoid them. The Denver Business Journal says "Don’t let Your Holiday Party Become A New Year’s Lawsuit." What is it about drinking at an office party and the photocopier? For some funny videos, check out YouTube "holiday party disasters."
- For some humorous reports on a series of recent lawsuits, check out Jester’s Courtroom on the Center for Individual Freedom blog.
Happy Holidays everyone!